We Have Moved!

We have moved our blog to the new CHB website! Check us out over there to find our latest stories and reviews!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Year in Review

I read a total of seventy novels last year and I managed to review fifty-three of them. I wanted to dedicate a little bit of space for a few top fives (no particular order, these are just listed as they came to me):

Best All Around:
The Fellowship of the Ring – J.R.R. Tolkien
The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver
Cloud Atlas – David Mitchel
Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
All the Pretty Horses – Cormac McCarthy

Best New Release:
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore – Robin Sloan
The Orphan Master's Son – Adam Johnson
The Fault in Our Stars – John Green
Philida – Andre Brink
Red Thread Sisters – Carol Peacock/Keeping Safe the Stars – Sheila O'Connor (tie)

Best Middle Grade/YA:
The Hunger Games trilogy – Suzanne Collins
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian – Sherman Alexie
Because of Winn Dixie – Kate DiCamillo
The Red Thread Sisters – Carol Peacock
The Invention of Hugo Cabret – Brian Selznick

Best World Book Night:
Kindred – Octavia Butler
The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao – Junot Diaz
The Namesake – Jhumpa Lahiri
The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver
The Things They Carried – Tim O'Brien

And a gratuitous chart of the gender ratio in my reading year, which I think is interesting because while the literary world is said to be male dominated I tend to read pretty evenly along gender line (though I seem to favor female authors over male authors especially in middle grade and young adult lit). World Book Night lines up right along with me as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...