We Have Moved!

We have moved our blog to the new CHB website! Check us out over there to find our latest stories and reviews!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why I Want to Give Bossypants

Deciding which of the thirty World Book Night titles I wanted to hand out on April 23th seemed much more difficult this year than last year. For one thing, last year's givers (myself included) were asked to suggest books for this year's batch. I made a few suggestions and one of them made it through. I'm sure many, many people suggested Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, it is THE BOOK about the importance of books after all, but I couldn't help but feel special. It was there for me to pass out on this holy Book Night, the night of the Bard's birth. This is the book that I credit with turning me into the reader I am today.

But then I noticed another book...Tina Fey's Bossypants. This book did not change me or make me think of my life in a new way. What it did though, was entertain me. I read Bossypants in a single sitting, laughing my way through an afternoon. Literature has many powers. Powers to inform, to enlighten, to change, as well as the equally noble power to entertain. Bossypants is a great book, maybe not capital 'G' great but great nonetheless, and that's why I'll be passing it out to parents in the pediatric care wing of Women's Hospital. I think that's just the kind of greatness those parents may need.

My original review of Bossypants can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...