We Have Moved!

We have moved our blog to the new CHB website! Check us out over there to find our latest stories and reviews!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Review: The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi

The rule is don't judge a book by its cover. There are so many reasons why I don't follow that rule. Doesn't a book with a great cover suggest the publisher spent a little more money on it? Doesn't that suggest they have great faith in it? I don't base my buying decisions (either personally or for the store) on the cover, but a bad cover is more easily glanced over. I will always read the blurb or synopsis of a book with a great cover. Always. But wait, wasn't this supposed to be a book review?

I guess what I am trying to say is that "The Search for WondLa" (both written and illustrated) by Tony DiTerlizzi has a gorgeous cover. I've never read anything by DiTerlizzi and the title is a bit odd so it was solely on the strength of the cover that I picked this book up. Then the blurb clinched it. Basically it's this, Eva Nine is a young girl that has never left the safety of her underground home or the protection of her Muthr robot until she is forced to flee to the surface. That's for me. Flipping through the book showed me more gorgeous illustrations, introduced me to a kindly alien and otherwise told me I had to read this book.

I was so pleased that I did. I don't know that I would recommend "The Search for WondLa" to reluctant readers because it did take me a little while to get sucked in to Eva's world, but kids that like fantasy/adventure and adults that like middle grade (like me!) will absolutely love it. I actually think it is a perfect book for reading out loud together. It is sure to keep both parents and kids interested.The second book in the proposed WondLa trilogy, A Hero for WondLa, came out last week and I am so anxious to read it! Waiting for the final book will probably kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...